Monday, November 8, 2010

Marriage Advice from The Incredibles

I have a confession... occasionally I listen to movies at work. Not when I have to concentrate and have lots going on. In fact, since changing departments recently I haven't had the need or the time to listen to movies. In my last department though, things could get really slow at times. Listening to movies seriously got me through. If you're ever interested, go to listentoamovieo.com. It's kinda sad how many movies I've never actually watched before but now know because I've listened to them (example: Back to the Futures 2 and 3).

Anyways, I was listening to The Incredibles the other day. Such a great movie. I wasn't paying too much attention, but suddenly I got pulled into the movie. Elastigirl was visiting her friend Edna Mode (the clothing designer) and had just realized that her husband, Mr. Incredible, had been lying to her about his job. She didn't know what was happening and perhaps even suspected some unfaithful issues. She started sobbing and asking Edna Mode what she should do. Edna began to answer and my mind started to formulate the typical answer someone nowadays would tell a woman who suspects lying and/or infidelity from her husband. For some reason Edna's actual response took me by surprise.

She said "What are you talking about? You are Elastigirl! Pull yourself together! What will you do? Is...is...is this a question? You will show him that you remember that he is Mr. Incredible! And you will REMIND him who YOU are!"

The first thing Edna suggested is that Elastigirl needed to show her husband that she remembered that he was Mr. Incredible. I truly believe this is one of the sacred duties we as wives should always be working on. Husbands need to be reminded and shown, both by words and through actions, that we know he is Mr. Incredible. Mark is the most incredible man, and I never want to be guilty of bringing him down. I want to build him up and remind him of who he is. He is not only my Mr. Incredible, but a divine son of God with the most amazing potential. Some days I'm better at this than others, but it's a goal I have for myself every day. Husbands need to be reminded how wonderful they are and how much they are appreciated. Don't take your Mr. Incredible for granted!

Another thought though... the second piece of advice Edna gave was to remind her husband of who she was. We are beloved daughters of God and we need to respect and love ourselves. When we are confident, we are better able to build up people around us.

Well, enough random advice. I do feel strongly about this and hope it helps someone else out there as well! It's been a great thing for me to remember and work on every day. Oh, and random, but I love Edna from The Incredibles. She is so hilarious. The whole movie is great. Go watch it again.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Such great advice from such an unlikely source. Thanks dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great part of the movie! I'll have to watch it again!

    ReplyDelete