Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Basketball Date

I recently found a website (thedahlingdatingdivas.blogspot.com) that talks about planning dates and keeping the romance alive. It's so stinkin' cute. It's given me a few ideas for future dates and gotten the wheels turning. During the NBA playoffs, with Laker madness going on, I was again reminded of how much my husband loves basketball. After thinking about it, I decided I could put together a fun basketball themed date. I decided to plan the date for the weekend before the Lakers game 6 and 7 (not gonna lie... I wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any sad basketball feelings if the Lakers did end up losing... but that wasn't a problem anyways!)

That Saturday, Mark was gone during the morning taking a few hour long test for his MBA program. I knew he wouldn't be having the best Saturday morning ever and it gave me enough time to get everything planned and ready for him. So it was the perfect day for a fun date!

First of all I downloaded some jock jam songs to play during the date and get us in the competitive, fun mood. I ran a few errands and then got to work on my invitation. That's one thing that I think is really cute about my new website... they typically make cute invites for their dates. Just another thing to get excited about. So I made a basketball ticket (see picture below) for our ESPN (i.e. Extra Special Private Night) Basketball Date with his name and the time. I left the ticket taped to the doorknob so he would find it when he got home. I also made a schedule based on an actual basketball game and then titled each one with ESPN shows. Hehe, I know, too cute. I left the schedule with instructions to "get in his basketball gear and get ready to rumble" on a pile of his basketball clothes. When the time came for the date to start, we both got into our basketball clothes, turned on the jock jams, and started on the schedule... I'll add some details below on what we did for each part.



Pre Game (i.e. NBA Countdown): I had looked up some Lakers trivia to ask Mark.
First Quarter (i.e. NBA Shoutaround): A round of horse with our nerf basketball set.
Second Quarter (i.e. Saturday Primetime): Mark and I took our basketball game outside to the streets! We went to a park nearby to play some real basketball. I had brought some Gatorades to drink, which turned out really helpful because it was so warm. We shot around and warmed up and then played a real game. Mark totally won everything we played. He's so good at basketball and I'm... not quite as good. It's okay, we each have our own strengths. I also brought our camera with us to the courts so we could take pictures for our own "playing cards." Here's some of our pictures...




Halftime (i.e. NBA Coast to Coast): On our way home we picked up some pizzas for dinner.
Third Quarter (i.e. Outside the Lines):
We looked up the video "Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers" on youtube. Mark had grown up watching this funny movie and I've definitely heard it talked about often in the Abbott household.
Time out (i.e. Pardon the Interruption): We gotta shower sometime. We actually ended up doing this before we watched the movie, but this was the originally planned order.
Fourth Quarter (i.e. Midnight Madness): no comment :) I love marriage!
Post Game (i.e. NBA Live: Bring It Home): And then for treats, I thought we got a little sweaty and dirty playing basketball, so why not a "dirty" treat. I found this recipe somewhere and Mark absolutely loves sour gummy worms, so I had to try it. It's simply instant chocolate pudding layered with crunched up Oreo cookies, topped with some gummy worms. So yummy! We ate our treats while watching a movie, because everything actually went much faster than I had originally planned and I started the date super early. The only movie that we own with a slight basketball twist is "Three Ninjas." Remember that part where Rocky and Colt play basketball with the bullies for Emily's bike? Yep, I sure do. How they spot the bullies 9 points out of the 10 required and then beat them hands down. Awesome. "Rocky loves Emily."


This date was fun to plan and sooo super fun to spend time with Mark!! I'm definitely going to plan some more fun dates in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment