Sunday, May 17, 2009

It's getting hot in here...

So turn on all your fans and prepare for a warm one!

Turns out it's summer now, apparently. We honestly didn't think too much about it before moving into our new apartment, but turns out we don't have A/C. Which really isn't so bad. Except when it's hot outside, like now. We have a few small fans though and we bought one big fan so far. During the evenings it's actually quite cool outside, so we just open our windows and we put the fan in our bedroom window to blow in the cool air. Our bedroom gets downright chilly at nights... or at least as close as we can get to chilly. So we hadn't really noticed how hot it was getting. I knew it was hot at times, but just hadn't thought about it. Until... the butter.

A bit of a backstory... I decided about 6 months ago that one thing I was looking forward to having in my married life is a butter dish. I decided I hated having to scrap open the butter packets, which get all gross looking (especially with roommates it seemed) and also I hate using hard butter on toast or bread. Thus I have been soooo excited for my new butter dish (thanks to Aunt Susan!) at our apartment. It's a white dish, so I can't see the grossness of the butter except when I want to take off the lid and use the room temperature softened butter. It was a dream come true, for a few days. Well, the other day we realized how hot it was getting in our kitchen when I went to open the butter dish and found melted butter all over the bottom of the dish. So sad. We now keep the butter on the dish, but in the fridge. Sigh, at least I can use the cute dish. Then to remind us again how warm it is getting... last night we pulled out my scriptures to read together before bed and we pulled out my marking crayon/pencils case that my mom had bought for me over a year ago and found that they had melted and resolidified into one giant crayon of six colors. Sigh. Pretty funny though. Not sure how I can mark my scriptures now, but I'll figure something out.

So we're going to be purchasing another big fan and using that in our front room to push the air out of our apartment. My dad recommended having the flow of air to make things feel even cooler. And we'll survive either way. It's been a learning experience for sure! The joys of young married life.

8 comments:

  1. It is getting to be summer weather for sure! we have a/c but we still use fans. i can't believe i ever lived in vegas and its 100 degree weather! how do people survive there?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, too bad about the A/C. Do you still get the coastal breeze at night during the summer? Oh, we have the same problem with the butter dish thing. We like soft butter on bread, not cold hard stuff. About 1/2-1 hour before your meals, take the dish out of the fridge and it will soften up. At least when I remember to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an awesome idea! I love it and will try to remember to do that. We do get the coastal breeze at night, so that definitely helps. And it's really not always that hot. Every now and then we just have a really hot day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny! Glad you aren't dying of heat though. Adam also loves butter dishes... he got his first one for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, that's funny! Thanks for the email so we could add you guys to our blod list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link. We love it when people keep their blogs up a lot better than we do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the more reason to come for a visit. We'll pump up the A/C for you!

    ReplyDelete